Saturday, September 8, 2012

Weekend Quick Change

Sooooo, the idea of a weekend quick change seemed like something I could give a bi-monthly commitment. Instead of twice a month, I seem to be unlazy every 2 months.. I'll get better.

Anywho, this one is the result a 5 hour nap in the middle of the day. I wanted to jazz up #1 an Ikea Malm nightstand, and #2 a thrift store mirror (more on that later).   Also, I purchased a pagoda from O'verlays last year and just plain wanted to use it!!

Armed with a love for spray paint and lots of half empty cans.. this project seemed like just the thing get rid of 3 or so of those cans.

Here are the befores:
The nightstand



The nightstand with mirror

The pagoda Overlay

The thing about the mirror is that it was gold when I bought it. At some point, purple seemed like a good idea.  For the project, gold was a better fit. Also, the mirror is taller than the nightstand so I chose a shade of gold lighter than the pagoda's future hue.

Speaking of the pagoda....

I've had 5,000,000,000 ideas about where/how to use it. There wasn't even a specified purpose when I ordered it..it just seemed cool as hell!  The problem is the pagoda is an inch longer than the surface area of my nightstand drawers. 

Bring out the box cutter, yo! 

Pagoda marked for cutting. 

After cutting the excess, the pagoda was marked at 3 equal increments to be applied to the 3 dresser drawers.


After a few coats of copper spray paint, the pagoda went on the Malm. Not one for commitment, I used a few beads of cool melt glue. Hopefully if when I change my mind, it'll easily pry loose. Added a few craft mirrors for extra sparkle!



The mirror is a lighter shade of gold, to balance it's size against the nightstand. Also, I had mirror cut for the top of my previous nightstand so I used it for this one too! As you can tell by the "before" pics, I consume many meals in bed. I've had glass or mirror cut for my last 50 nightstands. They withstand ice filled drinking glasses like nothing else!

At some point, I'll put decorative crap on the nightstand and update this post.

Have a great weekend!!

Smooches,
priss



No comments:

Post a Comment